Mechanical slurry seals
Metso is launching the ESF type mechanical slurry seal for the Orion and SALA VASA HD pump series.
This sealing concept meets the increased sealing demands from our customers.
Our focus has been to offer a sealing solution that:
- minimizes dilution of sealing water into product
- eliminates leakage to atmosphere
- increase life time of the seal by preventing slurry from entering the seal chamber
- allows easy conversion from box packing solutions to mechanical seal solutions
Metso's cartridge mechanical seals type BA and BF and ESF are designed to handle light to heavy slurry duties.
Metso offers a complete line of slurry pump mechanical seals to satisfy most slurry and liquid hydro transport applications in a wide range of industries.
The BF and BA unique designs provide excellent results in all light to medium slurry grades HI, (Hydraulic Institute). The ESF design seals satisfy the demand for advanced and reliable sealing solutions on even the heaviest of slurry applications typically found in mining applications.
With many years of application experience, we can facilitate the best seal selection for your unique application.
Mechanical slurry seals are suitable when:
- Water conservation is a concern
- Zero leakage of water out of the pump is required
- No dilution water into the process is allowed
- Traditional packing and shaft sleeve life fail prematurely
- Operating cost must be reduced
Main features and benefits of the mechanical slurry seals BF, single and BA, double:
- Cartridge design to fit the Orion Series makes it easy to install into a new or retrofit pump application
- Integral seal plate with "Plug-and-play" seal reduces cost and time of installation
- Axial adjustment makes pump impeller to case clearance can be easily adjusted to optimize pump performance without face isolation
- Silicon Carbide seal faces gives excellent seal face life for most slurry applications. pH 1 – 14
- Optional face materials with Tungsten Carbide and Diamond coating – improves performance on heavy duty slurry applications
- O-ring mounted seal faces that can be replaced in the field without special tools to reduce repair cost
- Single seal can be upgraded to double seals with minimal components added
Main features and benefits of the mechanical slurry seal ESF:
- The ESF seal is designed to fit into the standard Orion Series pump flushed gland housing. For the VASA HD a convenient seal adaptor is used
- Cartridge design makes it easy to install
- Retrofit installations are quick and easy when converting a packed seal pump. "Plug-and-play"
- Tungsten Carbide seal faces are standard and provides longer life for the tougher applications
- Flushed gland port along with the internal chamber creates a barrier of clean continuously replenished fluid to prevent incursion of slurry material to the seal faces which increases service life of the seal
- Centering clips are self storing and are used to keep the seal faces in position when impeller to casing clearance is adjusted
- Radial lip seal to ensure that the seal runs in a clean water environment
- O-ring mounted seal faces that can be replaced in the field without special tools reduces repair cost
We are the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) for equipment manufactured under the following brand names, and are the only supplier of parts with the original drawings and design details for: Metso, Svedala, Denver, Sala, Orion and Thomas slurry pumps.